FAO has released a new short document entitled, “100 days to Rio +20, 100 facts: Making the link between people, food and the environment” . The 8-page document is a quick read, and covers facts on a number of topics, including – hunger, water, forestry, gender, fisheries, land, food, nature and the environment.
4. Malnutrition is the single largest contributor to disease in the world. In developing countries, almost five million children under the age of five die of malnutrition-related causes every year.
12. The amount of food wasted by consumers in industrialised countries each year (222m tons) is almost as high as the total net food production of sub-Saharan Africa (230m tons).
28. 28 Number of countries that are withdrawing 20 percent of their water resources annually, indicating substantial pressure and impending water scarcity: 8
36. Deforestation affected an estimated 13 million hectares per year between 2000 and 2010; net forest loss was 5.2 million hectares per year, due to afforestation and natural expansion.
46. In sub-Saharan Africa women contribute between 60 and 80 percent of the labour for food production, both for household consumption and for sale.
53. Fish contributes to food security in many regions of the world. Numerous developing countries rely on fish as a major source of protein; in 28 of them, fish accounts for over 40 percent of animal protein intake.
70. Arable land per person is shrinking. It decreased from 0.38 hectares in 1970 to 0.23 hectares in 2000, with a projected decline to 0.15 hectares per person by 2050.
85. Overall, post-harvest food losses can run from 15 percent of food production to as high as 50 percent. These losses are due to a variety of reasons, including harvesting at an incorrect stage of produce maturity, excessive exposure to rain, drought or extremes of temperature, contamination by micro-organisms and physical damage.
97. Agriculture and deforestation account for about one third of global greenhouse gas emissions from human activities, specifically 25 percent of carbon, 50 percent of methane and over 75 percent of nitrous oxide.
Read the full document of 100 faxts